Search the collections
Wallet - Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Clutch, Black Leather, circa 1935-1945 Reg. No: SH 890947
- Alternative Name(s): Clutch Bag
Black leather clutch manufactured by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, circa 1935-1945. It was found in the storeroom behind the salesman's office.
Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Black leather bag, with deep flap, two pockets, front one closed with narrow flap fastened with press studs. Two pockets in lining, one containing mirror. Lining of black cotton material. Label sewn inside front compartment, white with red lettering.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||3.00 cm (Height), 19.00 cm (Width), 24.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, working life, glovemaking, leatherworking, clothing accessories, handbags|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||On label: 'SIMPSON'S / GLOVES PTY. LTD. / NO. 5198'|
|Manufacturer:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1935-1945|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection