Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Manufacturer Richmond, Australia
Purse - Red & Green Leather, Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, 1950s-1960s Reg. No: SH 890178
- Purse made from red and green leather, with metal frame, made by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, 1950s-1960s.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Inside purse is a small navy blue cotton woven label with gold lettering: "SIMPSON'S (logo)".Base of purse extends and has pocket to take paper money. Folds back and press studs closed to main purse.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||13.50 cm (Width), 9.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||clothing accessories, trades, women s clothing accessories|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Manufacturer:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1950s-1960s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory