Search the collections
Pen - BIC, Blue Ink, circa 1980s Reg. No: SH 912417
- Alternative Name(s): Biro
Blue pen made by BIC, circa 1980s. It was found in a wire basket in Area B1 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- Bic brand disposable blue pen. Wood shavings can be seen through the clear plastic body.
|Dimensions:||14.20 cm (Height), 0.80 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||office equipment|
|Manufacturer:||Société BIC, France, circa 1980s|
|User:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1980s|