Search the collections
Braille Writer - V. L. Martin Co. Ltd, Stainsby, circa 1940 Reg. No: SH 931151
- Alternative Name: Brailler
Stainsby Braille Writer manufactured by V. L. Martin Co. Ltd, circa 1940. The instruction booklet was printed and published by the Royal National Institute for the Blind, circa 1940. This model of Stainsby Braille Writer was first manufactured circa 1933. Used by the Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind.
This Braille Writer was one of the models sometimes called "crab writers" for their sideways movement and six keys that extend, three on each side of the carriage.
- Braille writing kit, all housed in a brown cardboard case. It consists of a metal Braille writing machine, a long slim rectangular device with six silver keys and a bell. A metal clamp in a plastic sleeve, and two metal hinged plates with Braille markings. A booklet of instructions for use is included, with instructions in Braille as well as standard English, plus some loose sheets of brown manilla paper with Braille inscriptions. There is no board.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind (RVIB), 1993
|Dimensions:||13.00 cm (Height), 32.00 cm (Width), 40.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||writing equipment, disability organisations, visual impairment, braille|
|Themes this item is part of:||Medicine in Society Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Health Organisations|
|Tertiary Classification:||special needs equipment|
|Inscriptions:||Label stuck onto case: INT. LINE.
On cover of instruction book: Directions/for operating the/Stainsby/Braille Writer/Printed and Published by The Royal National Institute for the Blind/Great Portland Street, London, W.1.
|Manufacturer:||V. L. Martin Co. Ltd, London, England, Great Britain, circa 1940|
|Publisher:||Royal National Institute for the Blind, London, England, Great Britain, circa 1940|
|User:||Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind (RVIB), Prahran, Victoria, Australia, circa 1940s-1980s|
|References:||John McCaskie: Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind, 1866-1973.|