Search the collections
Handbag - White Leather, Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, 1960 Reg. No: SH 890137
- White leather barrel shaped ladies' handbag with red trim, made by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, 1960. Retailed by Olga Geiger, Collins Street, Melbourne.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- .1 Ladies white leather barrel shaped handbag with red trim. Handles attached to gold rods. tan suede-like material lining. .2 White leather money purse .3 Hand mirror .4 Box with Simpsons label which reads No.7793 (logo) .5 Box lid.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||26.50 cm (Height), 26.50 cm (Width), 23.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, trades|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||Printed label: No 7793. Label inside reads "K.O. Geiger of Collins Street Melbourne".|
|Manufacturer:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1960|
|Retailer:||K Geiger, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1960|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory