Search the collections
Box - Adolph Bruhn & Son, Wood & Green Felt, circa 1970-1990 Reg. No: SH 912017
- Alternative Name(s): Container
Wooden pedestal created by Adolph Bruhn & Son, circa 1970 - 1990. It was taken from Area A at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- Rectangular box made from a rich, glossy, chestnut coloured wood which has an unusual grain giving the appearance of snakeskin. The edges running the length of the box are scalloped whilst those running the width are rounded. The base of the box is covered by a grass-green coloured felt.
|Dimensions:||8.70 cm (Height), 18.00 cm (Width), 25.60 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry, furniture, handcrafts|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||workshop fittings|
|Maker:||Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970 - 1990|
|Maker:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970 - 1990|