Search the collections
Pulley Belt - Leather, circa 1970s-1980s Reg. No: SH 912337
- Pulley Belt circa 1970s-1990s. It was found on top of the planner in Area D5 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- Belt is long, wide strip of thick, strong dark brown leather. Belt was found rolled into a tight coil and bound by two pieces of white string. Each end of pulley has a row of metal loops attached at regular intervals.
|Dimensions:||5.70 cm (Height), 23.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry, tools|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||workshop fittings|
|Place & Date Used:||Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970 - 1990|
|User:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970 - 1990|