Search the collections
Chuck Holder - Adolph Bruhn & Son, Wooden, 1973 Reg. No: SH 912604
- Chuck holder made by Sophus Bruhn of Adolph Bruhn & Son, 1973. It was used to store tool bits and was found resting suspended between headstock frame and file tool rack in Area B1 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- Rectangular light wooden length, with eight holes through height, and a flatter wooden piece glued to bottom towards end away from the holes.
|Dimensions:||6.00 cm (Height), 10.20 cm (Width), 61.20 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, working life, german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry, woodworking|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||power tools|
|Place & Date Used:||Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1973-1990|
|Maker:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1973|