Search the collections
Branding Iron - "PO", Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, pre 1987 Reg. No: SH 900046
- Cattle branding iron. Brand letter "PO" reversed. Used at Newmarket Saleyards.
Branding Irons or Sticks are tools with the purpose of leaving a mark usually to indicate ownership or to track stock movement. In order for the hide or fleece of stock to be kept in optimal condition, branding irons at the Newmarket Saleyards were only used with removable materials to identify stock. Prior to World War II, tar was used for branding, and then paint was used. For sheep branding, a mixture of sump oil and red ochre was sometimes used so as not to compromise the fleece for shearing. Animals were branded on the shoulder, loin, tail and loin, or at the hip points. Brands were usually applied after stock had been sold to indicate owner or Stock Agent.
- Cattle branding iron. Long wooden handle attached to a metal head with 2 bolts. The letters "P" and "O" have been welded onto a 3-pronged support.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from State Government of Victoria Major Projects Unit, 1990
|Dimensions:||160.00 cm (Height), 15.00 cm (Width), 15.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||working life, cattle husbandry, cattle yards, livestock sale yards, branding irons, sheep yards, sheep husbandry|
|Themes this item is part of:||Stock Management at the Newmarket Saleyards, Drovers at the Newmarket Saleyards, Joe Raymer's Memories of Droving at the Newmarket Saleyards, 1940-1963, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Glossary of the Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Livestock Markets|
|Tertiary Classification:||branding irons|
|Place Used:||Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, pre 1987|
This item is part of the following themes: