Search the collections
Electro-Convulsive Therapy Machine - circa 1940 Reg. No: SH 850545
- An electro-convulsive therapy machine circa 1940 used by Dr. A.Jeffrey in a mental health hospital in Victoria, Australia. In 1949, Dr Jeffrey was practising at Aradale, Ararat. He had moved to Armadale by 1951. See relevant issues of the Register of Medical Practitioners. ECT was used in the treatment of patients in mental health hospitals.
- Electro-convulsive therapy machine, in a square, wooden box covered with a cloth material. Box is resting on two strips of sponge rubber and has an electrical cord attached to back. On top of the box are the following: a timer, 5 sockets, 1 light bulb and main switch. Electrical cord attached to socket has a divided end with two metal holders.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Office of Psychiatric Services
|Dimensions:||14.00 cm (Height), 15.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||hospitals, psychiatric services, making history - psych services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Electro-Convulsive Therapy, Psychiatric Services Collection, Medicine in Society Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Mental Health - Clinical|
|Tertiary Classification:||treatment equipment|
|Inscriptions:||Dr A. JEFFREY printed with 'dymo' machine on front.|
|Date Made:||circa 1940|
|Place & Date Used:||Aradale Mental Hospital (Ararat Asylum), Victoria, Australia, circa 1950|