Iron - Electric, Hotpoint, 1920s Reg. No: SH 890683
- Hotpoint electric iron, made by Edison Electric Applicance Co, Inc, United States of America, 1920s.
Used at Simpson's Gloves, probably to press seams together or flatten seams prior to stitching leather.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
'Hotpoint' electric irons were first sold in Australia around 1914 and remained a popular product for many decades. From the late 1920s they were manufactured in Australia by the Australian General Electric Co. Ltd.
- Two pronged electric iron, wood covering over handle, adjustable thumb button, heavy steel base.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||18.00 cm (Height), 11.00 cm (Width), 14.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||electric irons, glovemaking, leatherworking, tools, trades, how to use hot point iron, electric fans 1920, watts 576|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||ironing equipment|
|Inscriptions:||Written label: "Hotpoint June 11 - 18 / May 20 - 24 / Edison Electric Appliance Co. Inc. / Made in New York Chicago Ontario Cal. U.S.A."|
|Manufacturer:||Edison Electric Appliance Co. Inc, United States of America, circa 1925|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1920s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory