Household Scales - Salter, circa 1920s Reg. No: SH 890640
- Household scales, to 28 pounds, made by Salter, Great Britain, circa 1920s.
Used to weigh parcels and leather goods at Simpson's Gloves Pty, Ltd, Richmond.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988
- Tin and cast iron, painted cream. Simple mechanism for weighing - tin dish on top on which items were placed to be weighed.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||19.00 cm (Height), 30.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||balances & scales|
|Inscriptions:||"HOUSEHOLD SCALE / (Salter's logo) / BRITISH MADE".|
|Manufacturer:||Salter, England, Great Britain, circa 1920s|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1920s-1970s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory