Search the collections
Screw Box - Woodworking Reg. No: SH 912764
- Made: W. Marples and Sons, circa 1900 - 1940
Used: South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1900 - 1990
Adolph Bruhn's woodturning business opened in Little Collins Street, Melbourne, in 1893. In 1970, Adolph's grandson, Sophus, relocated the business on a reduced scale to 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The shop closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
- Rectangular block of two pieces of wood, one being screwed on top of the other. There is a hole that runs from top to bottom. Within this hole there is a cutter - a blade held in place by the pieces screwed together. The inside wall of the whole is cut in spirals. There is a turn screw on the bottom.
|Dimensions:||4.50 cm (Height), 5.00 cm (Width), 11.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||german communities, german immigration, tools, woodturning industry|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped bottom panel: W. MARPLES/SONS/SHEFFIELD.|
|Manufacturer:||W. Marples & Sons, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, Great Britain, 1900-1940|
|Place & Date Used:||South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1900-1990|