Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A User Richmond, Australia
Sign - 'Girls Wanted to Learn', Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, circa 1950s Reg. No: SH 890774
- Sign, 'Girls Wanted to Learn', Simpson's Gloves Factory, Richmond, Victoria, circa 1950s.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Large sign, made from one sheet of metal nailed to wooden frame. Corners on back reinforced with metal triangles. Lengths of wire through frame for fixing in place. Front, painted cream with black lettering.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||61.50 cm (Width), 93.00 cm (Length)|
|Themes this item is part of:||Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Inscriptions:||Text: GIRLS WANTED/TO LEARN/HANDBAG, COAT & GLOVE TRADE/Also Experienced Machinists & Bench Hands/BEST PAY & CONDITIONS!|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory