Search the collections
Lathe Part - L Bar, circa 1950-1980 Reg. No: SH 912596
- L Bar made circa 1950 - 1980. It was presumably part of lathe attachments. It was taken from Area B1 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- L-shaped, round metal length, blunt at longer end, and saw pattern towards shorter end, with smaller, smooth end.
|Dimensions:||13.00 cm (Height), 1.50 cm (Width), 8.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||machine tools|
|User:||Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950-1959|
|User:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1959-1970|
|User:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970-1990|