Search the collections
Container - Castrol Motor Oil, circa 1985-1990 Reg. No: SH 912788
- Container of Castrol Motor Oil manufactured by Castrol, circa 1985-1990. It was found near some machinery in Area D at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- White plastic oblong bottle tapering in width towards top and culminating in round red screw top with external thread pattern. Has label stuck to it on opposite sides. The bottle contains a thick brown liquid which is Engine Oil.
|Dimensions:||25.00 cm (Height), 6.50 cm (Width), 8.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, working life, german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry, woodworking|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Transport Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Service Stations & Fuel Supply|
|Inscriptions:||Printed label: Castrol/XL/20W-50/Motor Oil.|
|Manufacturer:||Castrol, Guildford, New South Wales, Australia, 1985-1990|
|Place & Date Used:||Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1985-1990|