Search the collections
Handbag - Silver Calf/Kid Leather, Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, circa 1950s Reg. No: SH 890931
- Silver calf/kid leather ladies' evening handbag, probably made by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, 1950s. Handbag has a label indicating it was retailed by K.O. Geiger, Collins Street, Melbourne.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- .1 Ladies' silver calf (kid) evening bag with blue/white beaded frame and clasp. Tiny chain handle. Lined in black satin. Frame is the "sew-on" type. .2 Separate black satin money purse.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||23.00 cm (Width), 18.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life, women s clothing accessories, goats, leather products, gloves, handbags|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||Label attached to bag reads "75/- Sale 19/6". Smaller label reads "7804 Silver Kid SM/-". Label inside reads "K.O.Geiger of Collins St, Melbourne".|
|Manufacturer (Probable):||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1950s|
|Retailer:||K Geiger, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1950s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory