Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Past Owner or User Carlton, Australia
Booklet - Brylcreem Hair Styles, 1960 Reg. No: SH 940571
- Booklet featuring men's 'Brylcreem' hair styles, 1960, and used as a reference by Ernesto Angerame for his barber shop at 330 Lygon Street, Carlton.
Ernesto Angerame was born in 1920 in Viggiano, in the region of Basilicata, Italy. He migrated reluctantly to Melbourne in 1937, having replaced his brother who had changed his mind. He learned the barber trade during his sea voyage and completed his apprenticeship upon arrival. In 1942, Ernesto was conscripted as an enemy alien into the Civilian Army Corps and released in 1945. In 1949 he opened his own barber's shop in Lygon Street Carlton (known as the Sportsmen's Saloon from the early 1950s) which he ran until he retired in 1984. He cut the hair of numerous local and visiting sportsmen, and was official barber to the Carlton Football Club. His shop also sold tobacconist and hair care products and traditional Italian playing cards.
- 10 page booklet with white cover and black and red type and entitled 'The Brylcreem Styles for 1960'. The spine is spiral bound.The loose pages are enclosed 'back-to-back in plastic sleeves, and there are two empty sleeves at the back of the book. Each page features an image of a man or boy sporting a different hairstyle with titles such as 'prep school', 'flat top', 'the playboy', and the 'four-in-one.' The book appears to be a selection of pages from the 'American Barber's Journal and Men's Hairstylist' from the years 1962-1965.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Angerame Italian Barber collection offers valuable insights into the working life of an Italian migrant small business owner from the 1950s in Carlton - a traditional heart of Italian culture in Melbourne. The collection enables the exploration of particularly gendered practices of grooming and the associated male socialising and cultural exchanges, as well as the migrant processes of working and settling into a particular cultural, as well as in this case, the broader community.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Ernesto Angerame, 1994
|Tagged with:||haircare, hairdressing, italian communities, italian immigration, trades, -1|
|Themes this item is part of:||Ernesto Angerame, Italian Migrant & Barber, 1937, Italian Historical Society CO.AS.IT. Collection, Migration Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Settlement - Employment|
|Tertiary Classification:||reference materials|
|Inscriptions:||Front cover: The Brylcreem Styles for 1960/ Presented by the Victorian Division of the Australian Hair Fashion Council|
|Past Owner or User:||Mr Ernesto Angerame, Carlton, Victoria, Australia, 1960|