Search the collections
Poster - Please Don't Spit, Victorian Tuberculosis Association, circa 1950s Reg. No: SH 891720
- Poster with the slogan 'Please Don't Spit' issued by the Victorian Tuberculosis Association, circa 1950s. It was used in the Simpson's Gloves Factory, where it was found in a large storeroom downstairs.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Poster with yellow and white background, white, black and red text and a drawing of a little girl pointing at the ground and a red faced man.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Tagged with:||trades, glovemaking, leatherworking, advertising, health campaigns, health checks, tuberculosis|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Medicine in Society Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||(to be classified)|
|Inscriptions:||On poster: 'Please / DON'T / SPIT / SPITTING SPREADS DISEASE'|
|Place Used:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|
|Issued By:||Victorian Tuberculosis Association, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Medicine in Society Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection