Search the collections
Dog Tag - Newmarket Saleyards, pre1987 Reg. No: SH 901949
- Dog Tag. Used at Newmarket Saleyards.
Used to indicate Melbourne City Council registration. A large number of dogs were always present at the Newmarket Saleyards, either tied up or roaming in and around the offices and yards. The dogs were used by drovers to herd and control stock - a good dog could do the work of three or four men. Drovers generally had more than one dog, and often had up to 25 dogs working for them to move large numbers of stock or replace dogs that were being rested. Drovers supplied their own dogs, but if they worked for a company they received a 'dog allowance'. The company provided kennels, muzzles, and the dog's meat while they were on the job, while the drovers had to supply their dogs with collars and chains. Dogs were tied up in the 'milch cow' yards, or around the office area. If drovers were staying overnight at the saleyards, dogs were sometimes kennelled in a special area located in the adjacent abattoirs. Stories tell of how the sale bell would ring and the dogs would all bark in unison.
- Circular metal (aluminium?) disc with inscriptions engraved and hole punched at top.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from State Government of Victoria Major Projects Unit, 1990
|Dimensions:||0.10 cm (Width), 3.30 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||livestock, rural industry, local government, governments, livestock sale yards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Mosaic Mural at the Newmarket Saleyards Site, Drovers at the Newmarket Saleyards, Joe Raymer's Memories of Droving at the Newmarket Saleyards, 1940-1963, Drovers' Dogs at the Newmarket Saleyards, Municipality of Melbourne, Victoria, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Administration & Maintenance at the Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Local Government|
|Tertiary Classification:||pet registration|
|Place Used:||Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, pre 1987|
|Organisation Named:||Melbourne City Council (MCC), Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, pre 1987|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Mosaic Mural at the Newmarket Saleyards Site
- Drovers at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Joe Raymer's Memories of Droving at the Newmarket Saleyards, 1940-1963
- Drovers' Dogs at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Municipality of Melbourne, Victoria
- Public Life & Institutions Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Administration & Maintenance at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Newmarket Collection