Search the collections
Badge - The Institution of Engineers, 1919-1990 Reg. No: SH 920142
- Badge made by A. J. Parkes for the The Institution of Engineers. Collected as part of a group of badges over a fifteen year period during which Andrew Reeves undertook extensive research in the field of Trade Union Material Culture, and had extensive contact with the Trade Union movement Australia wide. The Institution of Engineers, Australia was first established in 1919, as a result of the amalgamation of 12 existing engineering societies in Australia, in 2002 it had approximately 60 000 members.
- Circular gold button with scroll around lower third. Edge of button excluding scroll indented like a cog. Outer edge patterned like a chain, inside this gold gold lettering set in blue enamel at the centre of a button map of Australia in white enamel. Gold area joins button to scroll, clear lacquer of gold areas. Scroll has gold lettering in blue enamel.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Andrew Reeves, 1991
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||2.40 cm (Height), 0.50 cm (Width), 3.80 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||engineering industry, societies, trade unions, badges|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Identity: Yours, Mine, Ours, Immigration Museum Exhibition, 2011-2021|
|Primary Classification:||TRADE UNIONS|
|Inscriptions:||Front: THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS AUSTRALIA/ESTAB 1919/INCORPORATED BY ROYAL CHARTER. Reverse: PARXITE 77/A.J. PARKES/BRISBANE.|
|Manufacturer:||A.J. Parkes, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1919-1990|
|Organisation Named:||Institution of Engineers of Australia (The) (IEAust), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1919-1990|
This item is part of the following themes: