Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Manufacturer (Probable) Richmond, Australia
Helmet - Bicycle, Brown Leather, circa 1938-1946 Reg. No: SH 890995
- Alternative Name(s): Bicycle Cap, Bicycle Hat, Cyclist's Helmet
Brown leather bicycle helmet, made circa 1938-1946. Found in large storeroom downstairs at the Simpson's Gloves factory.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.
Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
- Brown leather cap with brown cotton fabric lining. Cap has peak, and neck which extends to cover ears. Chin strap fastens with metal buckle. The crown is constructed from 11 pieces, including 4 x 3-cm vertical strips in front and rear, joined into semi-circular piece on top of crown; two semi-circular pieces above ears.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||30.00 cm (Height)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life, protective clothing safety wear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||Brown cardboard tag secured with twine inscribed '92501 / 505'; smaller cream cardboard tag inscribed '505'.|
|Manufacturer (Probable):||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1938-1946|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory