Where is it from?

Association locations map

Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Cap - Blue Vinyl, Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, circa 1947-1957 Object Reg. No: SH 890997

Summary:
Boy's cap mid blue leather. with brim and ear flaps, chin strap and buckle. Cotton tartan lining. The cap was made circa 1947-1957 at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd.

Simpson's Gloves was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.

Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
Description:
Boy's cap mid blue leather. Eight triangular pieces on crown. Brim and piece with ear flaps attached. Chin strap and buckle. Cotton tartan lining.
Acquisition Information:
Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
Acknowledgement:
Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
Discipline: History
Dimensions: 28.00 cm (Height)

More information

Tagged with: glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life, tartan
Themes this item is part of: Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
Primary Classification: MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY
Secondary Classification: Clothing Accessories
Tertiary Classification: sample products
Inscriptions: Label sewn into lining: "MADE BY / SIMPSON'S GLOVES / P/L / (logo) VICTORIA / AUSTRALIAN MADE".
Manufacturer: Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1947-1957

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No