Search the collections
Similar items over time
Dress & Jacket - Prue Acton, `Art Communicates', Melbourne Cup, 1990 Reg. No: SH 942123
- This outfit was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1990. It was worn by the donor to the 1990 Melbourne Cup. Worn with matching shoes, hat and bag in the Museum's collection (SH 942121, SH 942124 and SH 942125.) Theme was 'Art Communicates', using an Italian fabric by Versace which adapted a print by Raoul Dufy.
Prue Acton's Melbourne Cup clothing was specially designed for her to draw attention to Australian designers and in particular her forthcoming winter range.
- Two piece ensemble, consisting of a dress and jacket:
(1) Below the knee dress of sheer black fabric to the waist, collarless with transparent long sleeves. The skirt is of black and cream fabric with splashes of green, burgundy and yellow. A bra top of the same fabric is appliqued to the dress at bustline. The fastening is at the back with buttons and zip.
(2) Short black collarless jacket with one sleeve of above black and cream fabric and a matching shawl is attached to one shoulder to be pulled through loops on opposite side across front. Two ornate metal buttons fasten the front of the jacket.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimensions:||96.00 cm (Height)|
|Dimension Comment:||.2: 65.00|
|Tagged with:||clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, horse racing, melbourne cup racing carnival, women s clothing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1990|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1990|
|User:||Prue Acton, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 1990|