Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A User Carlton North, Australia
Retail Sign - Hot Food Menu, Old Lolly Shop, Carlton North, circa 1955-1966 Reg. No: SH 921120 1
- Celluloid retail sign for hot food menu, used at the Old Lolly Shop, Carlton North, circa 1955-1966. The sign became obsolete with the introduction of decimal currency in 1966.
The Old Lolly Shop was a milk bar opened and run by Elizabeth and Henry Cohen at 314 Rathdowne Street, Carlton North, from 1939 to 1975.
- Celluloid sign rectangular in shape, cream in colour. Wire stand attached.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Alan Cohen, 1992
- Donated in memory of Elizabeth and Henry Cohen.
|Dimensions:||16.30 cm (Width), 30.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||jewish communities, religions judaism, retailing, shops, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Old Lolly Shop Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Milk Bars|
|Inscriptions:||Text: HOT/Pies 1d & 3d ea./Pasties 1d & 3d/Sausage Rolls 1d/Saveloys 1d/Soup 1d/Toasted Crumpets 1d ea./Now Ready.|
|User:||The Old Lolly Shop, Carlton North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1955-1966|