Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used Melbourne, Australia
Serviette - White Cotton, Florentino Restaurant, Melbourne, circa 1988 Reg. No: SH 960146
- Alternative Name(s): Napkin
This white cotton napkin is part of the furnishing and equipment used at Florentino Restaurant in Bourke Street Melbourne, during the time of Branco Tocigl's ownership from 1979-1989.
Florentino's opened during the 1920s under the ownership of Polish migrant Samuel Wynn and management of Rinaldo Massoni who had migrated from Italy in 1911. Originally Cafe Denat in Exhibition Street, the new owners moved it to Exhibition Street and changed the name to Cafe Florentino. Under Massoni's management (he purchased the lease from Wynn in 1929), the cafe flourished and expanded into the neighbouring Edments gift store in 1935. Massoni died suddenly in 1941 and the restaurant has had a series of owners ever since, but has always remained in its 1935 location.
- A woven cotton fabric with 'fleur-de-lis' pattern in rows over all, every second row faces the first and the patterns fit between each other. A machine hem on each side. Right side corner the inscription word is embroidered in red cotton. The letters are 5mm high.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Branca, 1996
|Dimensions:||485 mm (Height), 525 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, immigration, italian communities, italian immigration, table linen, restaurants|
|Themes this item is part of:||Florentino Restaurant, Melbourne, Italian Historical Society CO.AS.IT. Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Migration Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Tertiary Classification:||table settings|
|Place & Date Used:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, by 1988|
|References:||The following related photographs are held by the Italian Historical Society: P-01595; P-06544.|