Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted South Yarra, Australia
Engraving - Main Building, Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, 1880s Reg. No: SH 950113
- Coloured engraving of Main Building of Melbourne Observatory. Depicts the observatory after 1883 (when the East Transit Room was built) and prior to 1892 (when the Computing Room was built to the left of the domed tower.
- Description Of Content:
- View of main observatory building, Melbourne Observatory. Image shows Observatory between 1883 (when East Transit Room constructed at left), and 1892 (prior to construction of Computing Room).
- Acquisition Information:
- Collected from Museum of Victoria, 1995
|Dimensions:||23.00 cm (Height), 29.20 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||astronomy, observatories|
|Themes this item is part of:||Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872|
|Inscriptions:||Below image: 'THE MELBOURNE OBSERVATORY'.|
|Format:||Print - Engraving: Colourised|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 1880s
Image shows the main Observatory building between 1883 (when East Transit Room constructed at left), and 1892 (prior to construction of Computing Room).
|Engraver:||A. Anderson, Australia, 1880s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872