Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted South Yarra, Australia
Engraving - 'The Comet, As Seen From the Melbourne Observatory', South Yarra, Victoria, Aug 1874 Reg. No: SH 950108
- Engraving of a view of a comet, as seen from the grounds of Melbourne Observatory. From The Australasian Sketcher, 8 August 1874.
The date of publication indicates that the comet is Coggia's Comet, which was viewed at Melbourne Observatory using the 4 1/2 inch equatorial telescope.
- Section of a newspaper page, from The Australasian Sketcher, 8 August 1874, p. 68.
- Description Of Content:
- The Great Comet of 1882.
- Acquisition Information:
- Collected from Museum of Victoria, 1995
|Dimensions:||30.50 cm (Height), 35.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||observatories, comets, astronomy, comet|
|Themes this item is part of:||Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872|
|Original Caption:||The Comet, as seen from Melboune Observatory|
|Inscriptions:||On front: The comet, as seen from the Melbourne Observatory.|
|Format:||Print - Engraving: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, Aug 1874|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872