Search the collections
Sign - Stock and Land, Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, pre 1987 Reg. No: SH 900094
- "Stock and Land" newspaper sign, displayed in the Administration Offices at Newmarket Saleyards.
Stock and Land is a publication providing coverage of prime stock, store stock and stud stock activity, as well as the reporting of all commodity price news and commercial store stock features. Stock and Land operated a publication office at the Newmarket Saleyards to cater for the needs of people trading in livestock.
Norman Ferguson was connected with the Stock and Station Journal in Bendigo when he was invited to start a Melbourne-based stock and land newspaper. The first edition of Stock and Land was on the streets on 1 July 1914. The paper still survives giving a wide range of news and views of concern to those involved with the pastoral, agricultural, horticultural, wool, machinery and property trading.
- Metal sign painted yellow with black print.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from State Government of Victoria Major Projects Unit, 1990
|Dimensions:||51.00 cm (Height), 7.00 cm (Width), 64.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||livestock, signage, rural industry, publications, livestock sale yards, making history - newmarket saleyards|
|Themes this item is part of:||'Stock & Land' Newspaper & the Newmarket Saleyards, Sustainable Futures Collection, Newmarket Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Livestock Markets|
|Inscriptions:||Text: 'STOCK AND LAND/Contains full reports of all/NEWMARKET SALES/ Country Stock and Fat Markets/Property Sales-Interstate Markets/Wool Reports in Detail'. [Extensive text].|
|Place Used:||Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, pre 1987|
|Organisation Depicted:||Stock and Land, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, pre 1987|
|Person Named:||Mr Norman Ferguson, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, pre 1914|
|References:||Vincent, K 1992, On the fall of the hammer : a personal history of Newmarket saleyards, Lee White ed, State Library of Victoria, Melbourne.|
This item is part of the following themes: