Search the collections
Baggage Labels - P&O, Alphabetical, circa 1950s Reg. No: HT 1393
- Set of twenty-four baggage labels used on the P&O Line circa 1950s. The letter refers to alphabetical organisation of baggage by surname. They are part of a collection of shipboard souvenirs collected by Margaret Wood an officer in the Department of Immigration from 1951-1960. As part of her role Margaret met migrant ships arriving at Station Pier in Melbourne and she often received gifts from ship staff.
Margaret first worked in the Department of Alien Assimilation which focused on migrants post arrival, before moving to the Assisted Division which handled the reception of assisted European migrants arriving in Melbourne. Her final position was working for the General Assisted Passage Scheme, assisting migrants from the US, Scandinavia and Switzerland who came individually on general ships as opposed to migrant ships. She recalls her time with the Department with great pleasure. She was a young single woman and had just finished an Arts degree at Melbourne University. When she applied to the Public Service, she was placed with the Department of Immigration, as she spoke German. She left when she married in 1961 as per the policy at that time.
- Twenty four white square labels. Each features light grey compass design with red letter overlay. Reverse of each label has adhesive.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Margaret Wood, 2003
|Dimensions:||10.80 cm (Width), 11.40 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, shipping, station pier, women s work, immigrant shipping, immigrant voyages|
|Themes this item is part of:||Margaret Wood, Department of Immigration Officer (1951-1961), Transport Collection, Margaret Wood Immigration & Shipping Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Planning & Departure|
|Tertiary Classification:||luggage handling|
|Inscriptions:||Text: PENNINSULAR AND ORIENTAL NAVIGATION COMPANY/G.|
|Manufactured For:||P & O Line, London, England, Great Britain, circa 1950s|
|User:||Mrs Margaret Wood, Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|
This item is part of the following themes: