Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A User Richmond, Australia
Glove Pattern - No. 7, Tin, Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, 1950s-1960s Reg. No: SH 891050 1
- Single flat tin glove pattern.
Glove patterns and cutters used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond. The heavy cutters date from the 1950s-1960s.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Flat tin glove pattern for the fingers and palm of single glove, with a hole cut in the bottom left half of the pattern for a thumb piece. The pattern consists of eight fingers and palm section symetrically alligned, which when folded together, form both the front and back of the glove. There is handwritten text on the front in pencil, and handwritten numbering in red crayon on both sides. The right hand side of the pattern is punched with six small round holes.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Tagged with:||cutting tools, glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten, front, red crayon: "7" "6 (crossed out?)"
Handwritten, front, pencil" Un (?) for (?) / Knif? / Heavy (?) / USE N... / FOR LINING"
Handwritten on back, red crayon "7"
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1950s-1960s|
|References:||See Parent Record|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory