Search the collections
Sign - 'Dogs Are Not Permitted', Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, pre 1987 Reg. No: HT 27698
- Sign hung in the Administration Offices of Newmarket Saleyards.
A large number of dogs were always present at the Newmarket Saleyards, either tied up or roaming in and around the offices and yards. The dogs were used by drovers to herd and control stock and, generally speaking, a good dog could do the work of three or four men. Drovers generally had more than one dog, and often had up to 25 dogs working for them to move large numbers of stock or replace dogs that were being rested. Drovers supplied their own dogs, but if they worked for a company they received a 'dog allowance'. The company provided kennels, muzzles, and the dog's meat while they were on the job, while the drovers had to supply their dogs with collars and chains. Dogs were tied up in the 'milch cow' yards, or around the office area. If drovers were staying overnight at the saleyards, dogs were sometimes kennelled in a special area located in the adjacent abattoirs. Stories tell of how the sale bell would ring and the dogs would all bark in unison.
- Painted wooden plywood square with black lettering on white background. 4 bolts with washers to fix the sign.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from State Government of Victoria Major Projects Unit, 1990
|Dimensions:||31.00 cm (Height), 31.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||working life, livestock, dogs, signage, rural victoria, livestock sale yards, making history - newmarket saleyards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Stock Management at the Newmarket Saleyards, Drovers' Dogs at the Newmarket Saleyards, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Mosaic Mural at the Newmarket Saleyards Site, Administration & Maintenance at the Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket Saleyards Poetry 'Newmarket Memories' by Teddy Cooper, 1994, Newmarket Saleyards Poetry 'Reminiscing' by The Stockman's Friend, 1998, Newmarket Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Livestock Markets|
|Inscriptions:||NOTICE/DOGS/ARE/ NOT PERMITTED IN/THE AREA OF THIS/OFFICE COMPLEX/AT ANY TIME/BY ORDER/ SUPERINTENDENT|
|Place & Date Used:||Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, pre 1987|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Stock Management at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Drovers' Dogs at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Mosaic Mural at the Newmarket Saleyards Site
- Administration & Maintenance at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Newmarket Saleyards Poetry 'Newmarket Memories' by Teddy Cooper, 1994
- Newmarket Saleyards Poetry 'Reminiscing' by The Stockman's Friend, 1998
- Newmarket Collection