Search the collections
Hard Hat - Vickers-Ruwolt, Cream, 1986 Reg. No: SH 860301 1
- Alternative Name(s): Safety Hat, Safety Helmet
Plastic cream moulded industrial hard hat. Collected from the Vickers-Ruwolt factory upon its closure in 1986. Ruwolt, a Melbourne-based engineering company specialising in steel and alloy steel castings, had been at the site since 1911. After making a contribution to the war effort during World War II, including manufacturing guns, mortar bombs and armour-piercing shot, it was bought by the UK-based Vickers group in 1948. The Richmond site is now used as the Victoria Gardens shopping centre and for housing.
- Plastic cream moulded industrial hard hat with sticker on front - gold crown with two blue feathers. Inside are two grey elastic straps which cross each other. Earmuffs have been removed (registered separately).
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Vickers Ruwolt Pty.Ltd., 1986
|Dimensions:||15 cm (Height), 20 cm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||engineering industry, engineering works, foundries, occupational health safety, trades, working life, protective clothing safety wear, workwear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Clothing & Textiles Collection, Engineering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Vickers Ruwolt Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Occupational Health & Safety|
|Tertiary Classification:||safety wear|
|Place & Date Used:||Vickers Ruwolt Pty Ltd, by 1986|
|References:||Information on Vickers-Ruwolt from 'Ruwolt, Charles Pty Ltd', in eMelbourne - The Encyclopedia of Melbourne Online, accessed 1/2/2010.|