Press Knife - Glove, 1920s Reg. No: SH 891026 13
- Press knife for cutting out gloves used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond. Plate for cutting 6 curved sections for trims.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
Arthur Atkins, son of the original partner, recalled that the glove patterns were first cut in paper, then cardboard, then sheet metal. Simpson's had a knife manufacturer make up individual press knives from these patterns. The knives were placed face up on the work bench, the leather spread over them, a sheet of gutta percha placed over the leather, then a press forced the leather onto the knives. Spring-loaded plates in the knives ejected the cut leather when the pressure was released. The leather was cut so that it would stretch sideways rather than lengthways.
The machine used with these knives was sold in 1939.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||4.00 cm (Height), 8.20 cm (Width), 22.50 cm (Length)|
|Themes this item is part of:||Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1920s-1930s|
|References:||See Parent Record|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory