Press Knife - Leather, 1920s-1930s Reg. No: SH 890991 18
- One of an assortment of 19 press knives for cutting leather for wallets, purses and handbags. Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
Arthur Atkins, son of the original partner, recalled that Simpson's had a knife manufacturer make up individual press knives from these patterns. The knives were placed face up on the work bench, the leather spread over them, a sheet of gutta percha placed over the leather, then a press forced the leather onto the knives.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||2.50 cm (Height), 16.00 cm (Width), 20.70 cm (Length)|
|Themes this item is part of:||Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1920s-1930s|
|References:||See Parent Record|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory