Helmet - Motorcycle, Fibreglass, 1960-1969 Reg. No: SH 890889 1
- Other Name(s): Motorbike Helmet
Off-white fibreglass helmet, to be used by motorbike rider. This helmet was apparently found too difficult and expensive to manufacture. Found in large storeroom downstairs at Simpson's Glove factory in 1988.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.
Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
- Off-white fibreglass helmet, 19.5 diameter. Dome shape. Rim flares slightly outwards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, motor cycle accessories, motor cycles, trades, working life, protective clothing safety wear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Transport Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Place Used:||Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1960-1969|