Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Manufacturer (Probable) Richmond, Australia
Helmet - Aviator, post 1924 (Incomplete) Reg. No: SH 891054 2
- Aviator's helmet, light brown leather, unlined and unfinished. Part of the Simpson's Gloves collection.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.
Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
- Aviator's helmet light brown leather, unlined and unfinished (including missing outside hems). Made from several pieces, it includes long flaps covering the ears.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Tagged with:||aviation, glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life, protective clothing safety wear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Transport Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Manufacturer (Probable):||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1924 or later|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Transport Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory