Search the collections
Medal - Visit of Chaim Herzog to Australia, Zionist Federation of Australia, Australia, 1986 Reg. No: NU 35395
- Bronze medal issued to commemorate the state visit to Australia by Chaim Herzog. Designed by Michael Meszaros and minted by Royal Australian Mint, Canberra.
Chaim Herzog, the sixth President of the State of Israel, visited Australia in November 1986, the first such visit by an Israeli head of state. This commemorative medal was jointly sponsored by the Executive Council of Australian Jewry and the Zionist Federation of Australia. 250 silver and 2000 bronze medals were minted for the occasion. The medal was designed by renowned medallist Michael Meszaros; the Israeli ambassador, Yissakhar Ben-Yaacov, explained in a leaflet that accompanied the medal that 'Mr Meszaros' design will be a fitting reminder that symbolizes the closeness of our two countries'. The reverse of the medal features a menorah and the Southern Cross, symbols of Israel and Australia respectively, against a background of gum leaves. Meszaros explained that the gum leaves symbolised the links between the two countries, as Israel had planted many Australian eucalypts in its revegetation programs.
During his visit, Herzog addressed the Australian Parliament on 23 October 1986 on the topic of the United Nations General Assembly Resolution 3379, a Declaration on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination. On 5 November a Parliamentary dinner was held in his honour.
- A bronze medal (50 mm diameter) produced to record the visit of His Excellency Mr. Chaim Hertzog to Australia in 1986. It features a Menorah below the Southern Cross and an inscription commemorating the State Visit.
- Statement Of Significance:
- For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Ken Downie, 1987
|Dimensions:||50 mm (Diameter)|
|Weight:||65.78 g (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||jewish communities, jewish customs, jewish immigration, religions judaism, state visits, medals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Chaim Herzog, President of Israel (1918-1997), Michael Meszaros, Sculptor & Medal Artist (1945-), Cultural Diversity Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Royal Australian Mint, Deakin, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||political leaders|
|Series:||Australian Commemorative Medals|
|Obverse Description:||STATE VISIT / TO AUSTRALIA / PRESIDENT OF THE / STATE OF ISRAEL / CHAIM HERZOG / NOVEMBER 1986 / HESH' VAN 5747 / E.C.A.J., Z.F.A. / MICHAEL MESZAROS|
|Reverse Description:||Menorah beneath the Southern Cross|
|Inscriptions:||STATE VISIT TO AUSTRALIA PRESIDENT OF THE STATE OF ISRAEL CHAIM HERZOG NOVEMBER 1986 HESH' VAN 5747 E.C.A.J., Z.F.A. MICHAEL MESZAROS|
|Issued By:||Zionist Federation of Australia, Australia, 1986|
|Artist:||Michael Meszaros, Australia, 1986|
|Mint:||Royal Australian Mint, Australia, 1986|
|Commissioned By:||Executive Council of Australian Jewry, Australia, 1986|
|Person Named:||Chaim Herzog, Israel|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Chaim Herzog, President of Israel (1918-1997)
- Michael Meszaros, Sculptor & Medal Artist (1945-)
- Cultural Diversity Collection
- Public Life & Institutions Collection
- Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972)
- Royal Australian Mint, Deakin, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Numismatics & Philately Collection
- Meszaros Medals Collection