Search the collections
Wedding Outfit - Cream Velvet & Lace, Melbourne, 1923 Reg. No: HT 2240
- Wedding dress, veil and gloves worn by Lili Vrahamis at her wedding to Letho Sigalas at the Greek Orthodox church in Victoria Parade, Melbourne on 18 July 1923. It was made by a Greek dressmaker in Melbourne. After the ceremony, a large dinner was given for the newlyweds at a café in Punt Road. Lili (Eleni) Sigalas (nee Vrahamis), was born in 1904,on the Greek Island of Sikinos. She was engaged to Letho, her cousin, in 1920. The couple had two daughters Danae in June 1924 and Magarita Babette in 1931.
- Cream velvet dress with georgette sleeves, pearl brooch and hanging beads, waxed orange blossom. Fine netted veil and cream kid leather gloves with three pearl buttons on each glove.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Sigalas family's immigration story is a rich narrative which relates to a number of themes in the history of social and immigration Melbourne. The wedding dress is an evocative symbol of a key immigration motivation for young women - being brought out to Australia to marry men from similar cultural backgrounds, islands and villages.
The Sigalas family story signifies migration as a continuous experience for some people: of shifting from country to country until finding the right spot to settle; of the strong ties to homelands which draws people back again and again; of chain migration; of finding brides in home countries in order to establish families in the new. While the objects do not directly pursue these themes, they can provide the point from which these complex migration themes can be explored.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Babette Sigalas, 2003
|Tagged with:||immigration, wedding costumes, weddings, women s clothing, greek communities, greek immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Sigalas Family Collection, Lili Sigalas, Greek Migrant, 1922, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Migration Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CELEBRATIONS & TRADITIONS|
|User:||Mrs Lili Sigalas, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 18 Jul 1923
Worn by Lili at her wedding to Letho Sigalas
|Place & Date Made:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1923|
|Place & Date Used:||Greek Orthodox Church, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 18 Jul 1923|