Search the collections
Bookmark - SS Oronsay, P&O Lines, 1968 Reg. No: HT 2676 6
- Bookmark issued by P & O Lines in 1968 for use on the ship S.S. Oronsay. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.
The S. S. Oronsay was launched in on 30th June 1950. She left Tilbury on her maiden voyage on 16th May 1951 and arrived in Fremantle on 8th June. 'Oronsay' was originally used for voyages between Britain and Australia, but made her first cruise on 14th February 1953. In 1960, P & O absorbed Orient Lines and the Oronsay remained in service for the company until 1975.
- Flat double-sided bookmark. Front has gloss colour illustration of the ship, which is white with orange funnel, and green ocean. Back has information about the ship and advertisement for its cruises in blue and black text.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr John McKay, 2003
|Dimensions:||6.3 cm (Height), 23.2 cm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||folded once|
|Tagged with:||advertising, shipping, ship memorabilia, bookmarks, 1969|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Transport Collection|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Shipping Lines|
|Tertiary Classification:||(to be classified)|
|Inscriptions:||Front: "P & 0"
Back: " P & O S.S. 'ORONSAY' 28,000 tons - stabilized and fully air-conditioned"
|Printer:||Peninsula & Orient Steam Navigation Co., England, Great Britain, 1968|
|Ship Depicted:||Orient Steam Navigation Company Limited (Orient Line), England, Great Britain, 1968|
|User:||Mr John McKay, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1968|