Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Revolver - Pepperbox, Birmingham, late 1840s Reg. No: ST 018558
- Percussion pepperbox revolver, cal. .360 in., six blued barrelled, 83 mm long. Birmingham proof marks on the barrel. Dated to late 1840s.
One of 2 revolvers brought to Melbourne from England in August 1853 on the Lady Flora by Phiilip Henry Nunn, father of the donor. Phillip Henry Nunn (1833?-1907) became involved in the establisghment of the drapery firm that later merged to become Buckley & Nunn, one of Melbourne's best known department stores.
Victoria Police assigned serial number: 40421VP.
- Steel oval triggerguard, trigger and bar-hammer, plain wooden grips secured by a single screw framed by a diamond german silver inlay on both sides of grips, flat butt with steel butt cap, case-hardened steel frame and mounts, lightly engraved on both sides, down backstrap, on butt cap, triggerguard, and on bar-hammer with foliate scrolls, has a shield to protect the nipples. No maker's name appears on the frame.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Crumpton Nunn, 1931
|Dimensions:||8.90 cm (Height), 4.00 cm (Width), 20.50 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 8.30cm|
|Tagged with:||revolvers british|
|Themes this item is part of:||Firearms in Gold Rush Victoria, 1850s, Firearms in Gold Rush Melbourne, 1850s, Arms Collection, Migration Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on barrels at breech end with Birmingham proof and view marks.|
|Place & Date Made:||Birmingham, England, Great Britain, late 1840s|
|Past Owner:||Phillip Nunn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1853
One of 2 revolvers brought to Melbourne from England in August 1853 on the Lady Flora by Phiilip Henry Nunn, father of the donor.