Search the collections
Rifle - Martini, Francotte Patent, Birmingham Small Arms Co, circa 1890 Reg. No: ST 028608
- Australian Service rifle, Francotte Patent Martini, cal. .230in. (297/230), steel rifled (five groove) round barrel, 699 mm long. Made by Birmingham Small Arms Co, Ltd, circa 1890.
This was one of several variants of 'Cadet Martini' rifles that were used in Australia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries for cadet training.
- Francotte's Patent Martini falling block single shot breech loading action, steel triggerguard, loading lever, foreend and butt plate. Barleycorn foresight, graduated rear sight, barrel fastened to stock via two steel barrel bands, the rear one being a baddely band with a recessed screw head, cleaning rod missing.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This was one of several variants of 'cadet martini' rifles that were used in Australia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries for cadet training. Skennerton (Australian Service Longarms, 1975) states that the Victorian Government purchased the first 500 Francottes in 1887 at a cost of 3 pounds each, while Penrose, in the Museum's 1949 catalogue of the firearm collection, added that they were issued to Victorian cadets until being withdrawn in 1911 when Senior Cadet training was introduced.
The principal characteristic of the Francotte Patent Martini action is the removal of the action in one complete section, after the removal of split pin. The model was manufactured by A. Francotte and W.W. Greener and the receivers can be found marked 'VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT, 'WESTERN AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT', or 'COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA'. The barrels were marked by the manufacturer: in this instance the Birmingham Small Arms Company. However, this particular item carries Francotte's cartouche on other components, suggesting that while the barrel itself was made and proofed in England, the rifle was manufactured under contract in Belgium by Francotte. This was not uncommon for several models of British/ Australian service rifles. The item is stamped in several locations with the Sale or Disposal mark, denoting that it has been sold outside of military service to the public.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from C.O. & N.A. Lundstrom, 1973
|Dimensions:||16.20 cm (Height), 3.60 cm (Width), 105.00 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 69.90cm|
|Tagged with:||rifles muskets australian, rifles muskets military, victorian colonial defence forces|
|Themes this item is part of:||Arms Collection, Victorian Colonial Military Forces Units, 1854-1901|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on L.H.side of receiver: VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT; 1114
Stamped on L.H.side of receiver: FRANCOTTE'S/ PATENT
Stamped on L.H.side under receiver: 8259
Stamped on barrel top: BARREL MADE BY/ THE BIRMINGHAM SMALL ARMS CO LD/ BIRMINGHAM
Stamped on barrel top: crown over TP (Tower proof); 230 L (calibre stamp)
Stamped on barrel top: 8259; R framed in a circle
Stamped on L.H.side of stock: 1114; two broad arrows facing inwards to an S (Disposal mark denoting sale to public)
Stamped on L.H.side of barrel bands: crown/ AF (Francotte cartouche)
|Model Name/Number:||Francotte's Patent Cadet Martini|
|Manufacturer:||Auguste Francotte & Co, Liège, Belgium, circa 1890|
|Manufacturer:||Birmingham Small Arms Co (BSA), Birmingham, England, Great Britain, circa 1887|
This item is part of the following themes: