Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Manufacturer Hartford, United States
Revolver - Colt 1873 Single Action Army, 1880 Reg. No: ST 024308
- Colt 1873 Single Action Army (SAA) or Peacemaker centrefire revolver, cal. .450 in Boxer., rifled round barrel 190 mm (7 1/2 inch) long with right hand side mounted ejector.
Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut. Serial number 50781, 1880.
- Six chambered cylinder with standard length flutes, steel trigger guard, solid steel frame, steel back strap, wooden grips loose on frame, left hand grip chipped on front edge, right hand grip chipped on rear edge with central split, blade front sight, loading gate on right hand side. Knurling on hammer is framed in an inverted U. Right hand side backstrap screw missing. Two screws on left hand side frame not original, both screws securing triggerguard missing. Cylinder pin missing, ejector spring damaged.
Barrel address is a Hartford-London address. Serial number 50781, loading gate is number 191, cylinder numeral stamp illegible and 'S'. Three-line patent stamping on L.H.side of frame. The partly obscurred stamping onto triggerguard L.H.side of 45 CAL/ B denotes the calibre as being .45 Boxer, a less powerful charge than .45 Colt.
Overall poor condition.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This particular example is of interest because of its barrel address. Respected Colt historian, R.L. Wilson notes that 'A collector's prize is the S.A.A. made for the European market, with the London address barrell roll: COLT'S PT. F.A. MGG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A. DEPOT 14 PALL MALL LONDON' (Wilson, 'Colt - An American Legend', 1985)
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Australian Army, 1957
|Dimensions:||13.00 cm (Height), 4.00 cm (Width), 33.00 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length 19.00cm (7 1/2 in)|
|Tagged with:||revolvers american|
|Themes this item is part of:||Colt Firearms in Colonial Victoria, 1850-1900, Arms Collection, Samuel Colt, Gunmaker (1814-1862), Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co., Gunmakers, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on barrel: COLT'S PT F A MFG Co HARTFORF CT U.S.A DEPOT 14 PALL MALL LONDON
Stamped on L.H. side of frame: PAT. SEPT.19. 1871/ - JULY.2. -72/ - JAN.19. -75
Stamped on triggerguard L.H. side: 45 CAL/B
Serial No. -
Triggerguard: 50781; Frame: 50781; Butt: 50/ 781
|Model Name/Number:||1873 Single Action Army (SAA) London Model (Peacemaker)|
|Manufacturer:||Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America, 1880|