Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Manufacturer Hartford, United States
Revolver - Colt 1851 Navy, 1867 Reg. No: ST 024312
- Colt 1851 Navy percussion revolver, late fourth model, cal. .36 in., rifled octagonal barrel 190 mm (7 1/2 inch) long.
Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut. Serial number 197522, 1867.
- Six chambered cylinder has been filed and no traces of cylinder scene remain, large rounded Hartford style brass trigger guard with no remnants of silver plating, steel frame, brass Hartford style back strap with no groove and no remnants of silver plating, late Hartford style. Thick loading lever catch, pin style front sight. Percussion shield cut-out has cap slot. Barrel address is Hartford-London address. Cylinder and left hand side of barrel stamped with British proof marks.
Inspector's initial 'L' stamped onto butt below serial number and 'R' stamped under barrel near loading lever pivot housing.
Missing loading lever, missing hammer.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Colt's London factory closed in early 1857 after just over three years, but many parts were transferred back to the Hartford factory where they were assembled into completed firearms. This particular example shows several oddities. It carries London proof marks marks that suggest it has been proofed as a completed firearm in England, however the high serial number, thick loading lever catch, Hartford style back strap and trigger guard, bevelled loading notch and percussion shield cap slot all point to a late forth model, produced after the period of the London Armouries operation. It is possible that either this gun was assembled in Hartford using London parts, that it has been repaired at a later date using London parts or that it has been rebuilt outside of Colt using two separate firearms.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Australian Army, 1957
|Dimensions:||12.00 cm (Height), 3.70 cm (Width), 33.00 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 19.00 (7 1/2 in.)|
|Tagged with:||revolvers american|
|Themes this item is part of:||Colt Firearms in Colonial Victoria, 1850-1900, Arms Collection, Samuel Colt, Gunmaker (1814-1862), Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co., Gunmakers, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on barrel: ADDRESS COL. COLT LONDON
Stamped on L.H. side of barrel with British proof marks
Stamped on cylinder with British proof marks
Stamped on butt below serial no: L
Stamped on loading lever pivot housing: R
Stamped on L.H. side of frame: COLTS/ PATENT
Stamped on L.H. side of trigger guard: 36 CAL
Serial No. -
Cylinder: 7522; Loading lever: - ; Trigger Guard: 197522; Frame: 197522; Barrel Lug: 197522; Butt:197522
|Model Name/Number:||1851 London Navy 4th Model|
|Manufacturer:||Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America, 1867|