Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Manufacturer Hartford, United States
Similar items over time
Revolver - Colt 1861 Navy, 1866 Reg. No: ST 024311
- Colt 1861 Navy percussion revolver, Cal. .36 in., rifled round barrel 190 mm (7 1/2 inch) long with loading lever attached.
Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut. Serial number 27987, 1866.
- Six chambered cylinder engraved with naval battle scene lightly worn, large rounded brass trigger guard, steel frame, brass back strap, wooden grips, blade front sight. Knurling on hammer is of typical London style framed in an inverted 'U'. Barrel address is one-line New York address.
Triggerguard right hand side screw missing.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The 1861 Colt Navy followed on from the 1860 Colt Army in general design and appearance with the obvious exception that it was produced in the Naval calibre of .36 in. rather than the Army's .44 in. It had a relatively short production of thirteen years with a total production figure of 38,843. Undoubtedly many more would have been produced were it not for the introduction of metallic cartridge ammunition and the disastrous fire at the Colt factory in 1864. Production of this model declined markedly after this date.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Australian Army, 1957
|Dimensions:||12.80 cm (Height), 3.50 cm (Width), 33.30 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 19.00 (7 1/2 in.)|
|Tagged with:||revolvers american|
|Themes this item is part of:||Colt Firearms in Colonial Victoria, 1850-1900, Arms Collection, Samuel Colt, Gunmaker (1814-1862), Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co., Gunmakers, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on barrel: ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA.
Stamped on cylinder: COLTS PATENT No. 987
Stamped on L.H. side of frame: COLTS/ PATENT
Stamped on L.H. triggerguard triangle: 36 CAL
Serial No. -
Cylinder: 987; Trigger guard: 27987; Frame: 27987; Barrel lug: 27987; Butt: 27987
|Model Name/Number:||1861 Navy|
|Manufacturer:||Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America, 1866|