Search the collections
Razor Strop - Christopher Johnson & Co, 1880-1920 Reg. No: ST 026176
- Razor strop comprising cedar board covered with fine and coarse leather. Made by Christopher Johnson & Co., Sheffield.
According to Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers and other trade catalogues, Christopher Johnson was born in Sheffield in about 1809 and founded his cutlery business in 1836, possibly as a partnership. Johnson was largely a merchant but listed himself as a 'manufacturer' of tools and cutlery, and a steel converter and refiner. He moved business several times and brought in other partners. He passed away in 1881. Meanwhile the business had expanded to international markets - for instance, the Argus advertised dessert knives, pocket knives and razors from suppliers including Christopher Johnson and Co, Sheffield, on 16 February 1887. The business continued under his name into the 20th century, but declined after World War II. In 1955 the factory was bought out and closed.
- Razor strop comprising rectangular cedar board with fine and coarse leather adhered to its surface, with handle at end. In black cardboard box with printed inscription in gold.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from S. Black, 1966
|Weight:||0.09 g (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||shaving equipment, barbers equipment|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PERSONAL GROOMING & HYGIENE|
|Secondary Classification:||Face & Body|
|Tertiary Classification:||hair removal|
|Inscriptions:||Outer case marked "APPROVED RAZOR STROP / CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON & CO. / C.J. / SHEFFIELD"|
|Maker:||Christopher Johnson & Co, 1880-1920
May be as late as 1950, but appearance suggests probably not past 1920, and probably earlier.
'Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers', G. Tweedale, and other Sheffield trade catalogues, quoted in Strazors - http://strazors.com/index.php?id=493&doc=christopher_johnson_and_co_sheffield_england_, accessed 18/3/2013.
Advertising. (1887, February 16). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956), p. 8. Retrieved March 18, 2013, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11590423