Search the collections
Similar items over time
Case - Pair of Pistols, Rigby, Dublin, Flintlock Conversion, circa 1800 Reg. No: ST 021876
- Pair of percussion pistols, duelling. Made by William & John Rigby, Dublin, circa 1800. Converted from flintlock to percussion about 1825.
- Cal. .500 in. Converted from flintlock. Heavy octagonal damascus twist barrel 225 mm. long. Ramrod pipe under the barrel side hammer with safety bolt. Hair trigger, spur guard with pineapple extension. Mounted blade foresight, u- notch in tang for backsight. Lock mount and plate finely engraved. Wooden stock with steel butt cap, chequered grip and silver crest plate. Wooden ramrod. Length overall 360 mm.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr William Cole, 1943
|Dimensions:||65 mm (Height), 490 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||pistols british|
|Themes this item is part of:||William Cole Arms Collection, William Edwin James Cole, Gun Collector (1864-1952), Arms Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Barrels marked "Rigby Dublin". Individual marks are "DU- 2956", "2479" and "DU- 2957", "2480".
Crest plate marked with a nags head over "JH" [nag's head is the crest of Hamilton, Lord Belhaven & Stenton].
|Maker:||William & John Rigby (Gunsmiths), Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland, circa 1800|
|Collector:||Mr William Cole, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
This item is part of the following themes: