Search the collections
Stone Fragments - Marble, Red, Australia, circa 1920s Reg. No: ST 017285
- Red marble fragments from the De Marco Brothers circa 1920s. The De Marco Brothers were manufacturers and installation specialists of mosaic, terrazzo, ironite and granolithic flooring. Established by Italian brothers Severino and Annibale De Marco who migrated to Australia in the early 1900s, the De Marco Brothers business operated in Melbourne from circa 1914 - circa 1955. They made contributions to many prominent Melbourne building projects including the Myer Emporium (Myers), the T & G Building and the Hotel Australia.
- Granular pieces of Australian red marble used for making terrazzo. Colours range from maroon to pale ochre with some white pieces present. White is also present on some of the maroon and ochre pieces, a natural feature of the stone. Colours heightened when samples are moistened. Dry samples appear as shades of light brown or pink. Samples consist of both medium size and smaller pieces. Samples contained in a jar with a card label with typed letters, most likely original museum object label.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from De Marco Bros, 1928
|Tagged with:||italian communities, italian immigration, floorings, terrazzo, marble, product samples, building stones|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, De Marco Brothers, Terrazzo Granolithic & Concrete Placing, Melbourne, circa 1914-1955, Annibale & Severino De Marco, Italian Migrants & Terrazzo Workers (1885-1943) & (1894-1961)|
|Primary Classification:||BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION|
|Inscriptions:||Card label within jar: 'AUSTRALIAN RED MARBLE / I7285'|
|Other Association (See Comments):||Australia, circa 1920s
Place and date quarried.
|User (Probable):||De Marco Bros, Melbourne, Central, Victoria, Australia, circa 1920s|
This item is part of the following themes: