Pistol - Colt Deringer, No 2, circa 1880 Reg. No: ST 024198
- Colt No.2 rimfire Deringer, cal. .41in., rifled oval flat top barrel 63 mm (2 1/2 inch) long.
Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut. Serial number 3749. Production by year not recorded on Deringer models, but circa 1880.
- Knurled release latch on frame R.H.side, barrel pivots left for loading. Steel frame with foliate engraving on either side, steel barrel with bladed front sight, knurling on hammer is course style and split by a central groove to act as a rear sight, light blueing on hammer and barrel remains, sheath trigger, wooden birdshead grips.
Stamped on barrel with two-line Colt address.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The No.2 Colt Deringer is sometimes also called the National model after Colt bought out Brooklyn's National Arms Co. in 1870 whose No.1 and No.2 models were rated amongst the best concealable pistols on the market. The No.1 was an all metal deringer, the No.2 being fitted with wooden grips. All the unsold stock from National was moved to Colt's factory at Hartford, where Colt continued to manufacture the No.1 and No.2 models, later producing his own No.1 and 2 models carrying his firm's name. The use of the term National should really be applied only to those No.1 and 2s carrying that firms stampings.
The pistol here is a Colt No.2. There were 6,500 No.1s produced, and 9,000 No.2s, between 1870 and 1890, each series being individually serialised from 1 upwards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Exchange from H. Maynard, 1957
|Dimensions:||7.20 cm (Height), 2.80 cm (Width), 13.60 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 6.30 (2 1/2 in.)|
|Tagged with:||pistols american, 7005|
|Themes this item is part of:||Colt Firearms in Colonial Victoria, 1850-1900, Arms Collection, Samuel Colt, Gunmaker (1814-1862), Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co., Gunmakers, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on barrel: COLT's PT.F.A. MFG. CO./ HARTFORD CT. U.S.A./ No.2
Stamped under barrel: 3749
Stamped on butt: 3749
|Model Name/Number:||No.2 Derringer (National Model)|
|Maker:||Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America, circa 1880|