Search the collections
Rifle - Reeves Patent Rifle, circa 1860 Reg. No: ST 000265
- British percussion rifle, Charles Reeves patent, cal. .543 in., steel rifled (five groove) round barrel, 838 mm long. Manufactured by Charles Reeves, Birmingham, circa 1860.
One of 26 guns donated in 1871 by the Victorian Ordnance Department from its Melbourne Armoury, for the newly created Industrial and Technological Museum. The display was intended to show mechanics and gunsmiths the principles of gun construction and recent technical developments in weapons.
- Steel lock and hammer on R.H. side, breech loading sliding bolt mechanism (parts missing) for self consuming paper cartridges, steel oval triggerguard with small front spur and dropped rear spur, no sideplate, steel butt plate and forendcap, two sling swivels. Barleycorn front sight, graduated rear sight, to 400yds on the bed and 1000yds on the leaf, barrel fastened to stock via two steel barrel bands.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Melbourne Armoury, 1871
|Dimensions:||21.80 cm (Height), 5.60 cm (Width), 124.60 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 83.80cm|
|Tagged with:||rifles muskets british, rifles muskets military, victorian colonial defence forces|
|Themes this item is part of:||Arms Collection, Victorian Colonial Military Forces Units, 1854-1901|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on lockplate: C. REEVES/ PATENT
Stamped on barrel top L.H.side: 29, British government proofs, Birmingham examiner's mark
|Model Name/Number:||1859 Reeves Patent British Service|
|Manufacturer:||Charles Reeves (Gunsmiths), Birmingham, England, Great Britain, circa 1860|
|User:||Victoria: Ordnance Branch, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1860-1870|
This item is part of the following themes: